Leather Handles (1"-wide)
Love leather? These durable 1"-wide leather handles are perfect for using with my
The 54" length can be used for a crossbody strap or you can cut it down to two shorter handles or any length you might need.
- You will receive two 1"-wide handles, both are cut to the length selected below (choose 16" or 28").
- For the 54" length, you will receive ONE 1"-wide handle.
- Included is a small scrap of leather for test sewing.
See below for choosing colors, tips on sewing with leather, and additional information.
- Medium Brown, Black, and Copper colors are a 4-5 oz. weight leather (1.6-2mm thick) (this is slightly thicker than the leather sold prior to mid February 2019), most* home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather.
- Rustic color is a 5-6 oz. weight leather (2-2.4mm thick), some (but not all) home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather. Rustic has lots of character, so expect color variation and markings (see images for examples). It's slightly lighter in color than medium brown and almost equivalent to Copper in tone, each hide has color variation within the hide. It's my personal favorite color! The back side of this color is a clean finish, but not gum pasted like the other colors.
- Natural color is a 5-6 oz. weight leather (2-2.4mm thick), some (but not all) home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather. This vegetable tanned leather will darken to a beautiful amber color over time with exposure to sunlight and general use. Handle sides have been beveled and lightly hand-burnished for durability and longevity and a light coat of oil has been applied.
Sewing with leather handles:
- I advise using a leather needle or topstitching needle of a size 14 or 16 and polyester thread for sewing the leather into a seam. Using a heavy weight thread (such as Coats & Clark Dual Duty Heavy) in the needle (and all-purpose polyester thread in the bobbin) is a great option for machine sewing handles directly to the exterior of projects.
- Handles can be hand-sewn to projects using waxed linen or waxed polyester thread (or other heavy weight thread) for durability. Pre-punch holes with an awl or leather hole punch.
- Handles can also be attached to projects by using rivets. Check out my tutorial for setting rivets.
Leather is sourced from a US tannery and hand cut by me. Please be aware that colors do vary from monitor to monitor, I have tried my best to accurately capture the leather’s true color. Leather is a natural product, minute blemishes may be present. Great care has gone into creating a beautiful handle that will stand the test of time. This leather is cut from a single cow hide, the top side is finished and the back side is re-dyed and gum pasted (except Rustic) at the tannery for longevity and durability. If you have any questions about these handles, please contact me prior to ordering!
* I cannot guarantee that your specific sewing machine will be able to sew through either handle type. Handles are shipped USPS First Class. Please contact me if you require a different shipping method.
Photos shown of finished projects are for demonstration purposes, this listing is for the leather only.
More projects using leather handles can be found in my book, Handmade Style (the Zip Top Tote and Market Bag both use 1"-wide handles). The Wool + Wax Tote pattern also uses these handles. You can use the 54" length for the crossbody strap of the Redwood Tote and Hillside Tote (1"-wide strap is compatible with the Redwood Tote Hardware kit)