Leather Handles (3/4"-wide)
Love leather? These durable 3/4"-wide leather handles are perfect for using with my Gingham Tote Pattern (from my book Handmade Style, uses the 15" length) and any other sewing project where you need handles! The 56" length can be used for a crossbody strap or you can cut it down to two shorter handles or any length you might need. (Medium brown color is pictured at left, natural color is pictured at right), last image shows all colors.
- You will receive two 3/4"-wide handles, both are cut to the length selected below (15"). For the 56" length, you will receive ONE 3/4"-wide handle.
- Included is a small scrap of leather for test sewing.
See below for choosing colors, tips on sewing with leather, and additional information.
- Medium Brown, black, and cinnamon colors are a 4-5 oz. weight leather (1.6-2mm thick) (this is slightly thicker than the leather sold prior to mid February 2019), most* home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather.
- Natural color is a 5-6 oz. weight leather (2-2.4mm thick), some (but not all) home sewing machines should be able to sew through the leather. This vegetable tanned leather will darken to a beautiful amber color over time with exposure to sunlight and general use. Handle have a light coat of oil applied.
Sewing with leather handles:
- I advise using a leather needle or topstitching needle of a size 14 or 16 and polyester thread for sewing the leather into a seam. Using a heavy weight thread (such as Coats & Clark Dual Duty Heavy) in the needle (and all-purpose polyester thread in the bobbin) is a great option for machine sewing handles directly to the exterior of projects.
- Handles can be hand sewn to projects using waxed linen or waxed polyester thread (or other heavy weight thread) for durability. Pre-punch holes with an awl or leather hole punch.
- Handles can also be attached to projects by using rivets. Check out my tutorial for setting rivets.
Leather is sourced from a US tannery and hand cut by me. Please be aware that colors do vary from monitor to monitor, I have tried my best to accurately capture the leather’s true color. Leather is a natural product, minute blemishes may be present. Great care has gone into creating a beautiful handle that will stand the test of time. This leather is cut from a single cow hide, the top side is finished and the back side is re-dyed and gum pasted at the tannery for longevity and durability. If you have any questions about these handles, please contact me prior to ordering!
* I cannot guarantee that your specific sewing machine will be able to sew through either handle type. Handles are shipped USPS First Class. More projects using leather handles can be found in my book, Handmade Style.
Photos shown of finished projects are for demonstration purposes, this listing is for the leather only.